Happy and Healthy Sunday everyone. Today is my very first post for #Sunday Supper. I’ve been trying to join this group for a while but I could not quite figure out what to do (must be an age issue). Isabel the hostess of #Sunday Supper walked me through, thank you so much Isabel. This weeks other hostess’ are Jen and Linda from Juanitas Cocina. Great job Jen and Linda and thanks for all your hard work putting together this week’s Beat the Heat theme supper.
Today’s #Sunday Supper is appropriately titled Beat The Heat. Seems we are all in the middle of a heat wave, whew, is that perspiration on my brow. Time to run through the sprinklers, I still do that and I hope that you do too. I do it with my grandkids. Yeah, I put on my granny suit, oh geez is that woman showing some skin. Okay back to the point, I do tend to get distracted. This week’s theme is about not heating up your kitchen and preparing foods that don’t require turning on the oven. Makes sense to me.
I decided to make a simple chilled tomato salad with some macadamia cheese. The dressing is a tad of olive oil drizzled over the tomatoes and a slathering of balsamic glaze. For this salad, not a bit of heat was created in my kitchen unless you want to count the food processor and there I was the only one who got overheated just by turning it on. Any movement can stir up some warmth with this heat.
On to this cooling salad. I was so excited to find raw macadamia nuts at the health food store that I raced home and starting soaking them in water for the 8 hours to soften them up and forgot to take any photos. After the soaking time I immediately put them in the food processor, no photos. It doesn’t take a lot to get me excited. I mean who goes over the edge for raw macadamia nuts, LOL? This macadamia cheese is a great alternative to dairy and if you like macadamia nuts you will really appreciate the nutty, creamy consistency.
This is a simple and easy raw veggie salad. The main ingredients are tomatoes, red, yellow, green or whatever you can find. Any other raw veggies will go well with this salad too. You can use spinach as a base, some arugula, cucumber, onions, live sprouts, microgreens.
The macadamia cheese recipe is courtesy of Candle 79, a vegan restaurant in New York City.
8 oz raw macadamia nuts soaked
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon lemin juice
Combine all ingredients in the food processor and whir until smooth.
Whoo Hoo – also on a day of firsts I was nominated by the sweetest blogger I know, Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself for the Addictive Blog Award. Thank you so much my sweet friend. You are the best. I will post the rules and my selections on my next post, hopefully on Tuesday. Just had to throw that in here. How does one choose the most addictive blog award considering all the food I see daily. Hmmm.
I hope everybody is enjoying a cooled down Sunday Supper. Please check out all the other bloggers who contributed to today’s feast. All their links are below.
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Rice Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ